2020 - 2021 DESSAR President's Message
Compatriots of the Delaware Society,
It is a privilege to be given the opportunity to continue to serve as Society President for 2020-2021. We live in extremely challenging times. A year ago, none of us would have dreamed that we would be navigating a pandemic environment. Covid 19 has affected our workplace, social interactions, grocery shopping, vacation planning, etc. I hope each of you and your families are safe and heeding the recommendations of our health care providers.
None the less, DESSAR continues to move forward to meet our challenges. I would like to take the opportunity to share some thoughts and points with you.
First I would like to remind you of the 4 goals I have set for the DESSAR.
- First – To grow our level of membership.
- Second – Need to retain members once they join.
- Third – Membership development.
- Finally, Succession planning.
These basic goals should not be “my” goals. They should be “OUR” goals. Earlier this year I appointed a committee to review the 4 goals, identifying good practices already in place and developing recommendations and strategies to accomplish these goals. The committee, chaired by Robert Reed and comprised of the chapter Presidents, anticipates providing their report to the Board of Managers in September.
As I mentioned above, Covid 19 has presented innumerable challenges. While all of us would like to physically meet, unfortunately it is ether (A) extremely difficult or (B) impossible depending on COVID 19 restrictions in place. Yet the DESSAR still needs to conduct its business. The Board of Managers recognized this and has amended the DESSAR Bylaws to enable the DESSAR to:
- Conduct electronic meetings when it is impractical or impossible to physically meet. This amendment covers meetings of the Officers, Board of Managers, Executive Committee, or of the membership of the Delaware Society including the Annual Meeting.
- Meetings may be conducted electronically either by means of telephone conference call or videoconferencing.
- These meetings are subject to all other provisions, rules or procedures of the Bylaws concerning notice, quorum, and voting.
In these times, our Society faces many challenges. But I am convinced that united together in dedicated determination, we can meet those challenges.
In closing, I ask for your help and support that WE may succeed.
In Service to Our Society and Country,
Harry B. Roberts, III
Delaware Society President